We are always looking for volunteer help for the positions and projects below. Please sign up now to help us stay ahead of the wave!
All hands on deck! We need help to continue reaching out to Oakland families to enroll in 2016-2017, primarily in Transitional Kindergarten and Kindergarten.
Depending on interest and availability, outreach volunteers can do research, drop off flyers at pre-determined family-friendly organizations, table at community events, etc. Time commitment: As many hours as you are available!
2. On-Site Volunteer Schedule
The Francophone Charter School of Oakland relies on its volunteer base to provide additional support for our staff on a daily basis. Please check our Volunteer Schedule to see where the school’s daily needs are.
We generally welcome help with the following tasks:
- Teachers’ preparation: help teachers prep materials (copy, open boxes, organize materials, etc.)
- Assistance to TK/K Classes (with bathroom breaks, etc.)
- Recess supervision
- Lunch supervision
- Office work
- Academic support
3. One-Time Projects
One-time projects to do at school or at home often come up. See the list of projects here.
4. Log Your Hours!
Francophone Charter School families are encouraged to volunteer 30 hours a year per family.
Please log your hours on Parent Square (log in on this page and click on “Volunteer Hours” in the left sidebar) to help us track our family engagement, do a better job at involving you, and ensure you are credited for your efforts!
Not sure how to work your 30 hours? We will gladly assist you! Contact us at email@example.com.
5. Home Room Parents
Each class has 1-2 home room parents who work with the teacher to help coordinate some class projects, field trips, events and volunteers and work with families of those in each class to plan at least two social events for the families outside of school hours per year. Home room parents serve a one-year term. If multiple parents are interested in serving as home room parents, they can decide with the teacher how to allocate time and responsibilities (e.g. serving for a semester, splitting responsibilities throughout the entire year, etc.). Time commitment: at least 5 hours per month.
Parents from each classroom take turns throughout the year volunteering at the morning drop-off, when they help children get out of cars and to the school, and cooking for the monthly Staff Appreciation Lunch.
6. Supply Donation/Gathering
Help us gather supplies for our office and classrooms!
Please share this list with your friends and family, look out for those at garage sales and second-hand stores, and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any of the following:
- Office supplies (copy paper, staplers, staples, etc.)
- Classroom supplies (paper, pencils, erasers)–must be new
- Books (in French and in English)
- Puzzles and games (French only)
- Dramatic play toys and accessories (all wooden—NO plastic), kitchen toys, puppet theater, dollhouse, barn, puppets, dress up, etc.
- Math manipulatives (wooden building blocks, unifix cubes, magnatiles, geoboards, legos, duplos, etc.)
- Art supplies
- paint, crayons, pens, chalk, pastels, watercolor–must be new and non-toxic/child-friendly
- Please consider saving the following supplies that can be repurposed (all donations must be clean and dry):
- microwave meal containers
- Toilet paper cardboard tubes
- Cardboard boxes such as cereal boxes, toothpaste boxes, empty match boxes, etc.
- Empty cans (without lids/tops)
- Paper bags
- Junk mail: grocery (and similar kid-friendly) promotional brochures
- Corks from wine and other similar bottles
- Colorful plastic bags
- Egg cartons
7. Help Us Raise Money for the School
We have many opportunities to help, from selling Chinook Books to parents at pickup time to the Harvest Fair Turkey Trot on November 5. This event will host activity booths, food booths and we will also have a walk-a-thon. Mark it on your calendar! See the link below to view opportunities and sign up.
Our fundraising programs are ongoing and an easy way to support the school. Please go to www.francophoneschool.org/donate for more info.